IMPACT OF SOCIAL MEDIA ON YOUTH
Social media is defined as an interactive medium that enabled people to communicate digitally. Social media is used for consumption as well as degradation of society. It has turned life into screen life. The use of the internet and mobile screens increased the distance between humans and ultimately we all are living a robotic life. Social media includes different apps like WhatsApp, Snap chat, Tiktok, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Imo. These all apps were created for the benefit of mankind but now they are just causing harm to us.
Social media encourages youngsters to succeed and pulls them down. It has allowed youth to share their views and give an opinion on different matters. Now, we can easily communicate with our loved ones through social media. Social media affects a person’s mental and physical health and it can also lead to depression and self-harm. Excess use of social media has made people mentally ill, now they don’t care about anyone’s privacy and comment on everyone’s personal life. As social media lacks privacy and confidentiality, there is a greater chance of getting your data hacked and then misused by others.
It has distanced the family members as they sit along but keep using their social media accounts which ultimately led to decreased social life and live entertainment. Social app usage has limited life pleasure, recreational activities, and offline sports.
BENEFITS OF SOCIAL MEDIA
The benefits of social media are discussed below;
- Social media has increased communication options. Now we can chat and call anyone through social media services.
- It keeps us connected to our loved ones and the world.
- It provides entertainment opportunities.
- Youth can play online games on social media and they don’t need to go out for a game.
- About 80% of social media users share knowledge about religion, ethics, technology, internet services, and academic knowledge. It is quite helpful for the students to do their quizzes and assignments.
- Students can get help for their projects from social media.
- It enables the students to enhance their knowledge through informative topics discussed by experts on social media
- It has made it easy to find a job and increased business opportunities.
- It has many social networking sites which enable users to get connected with companies.
- It has increased digital marketing and online shopping and decreased the money expenditures of consumers.
- Everyone can sell and products on social media. They just have an account on the social media websites and then can start earning.
SOCIAL SKILLS IMPROVEMENT
- It expands social skills and increases friends’ circle.
Disadvantages of social media are discussed below;
Today, young ones are wasting time on Facebook and WhatsApp if they have a to-do list, they’ll ignore it and keep using social media apps.
LOSS OF PERSONAL LIFE
- Social media has ruined our personal lives. Everyone feels pride in sharing his personal life on social media and as a result, nothing has been left private.
- Youth is addicted to social media due to which they are losing their personal development and career goals. Students neglect their studies and keep participating on posts which can affect their grades badly.
- They are getting away from books and adopting screens.
- Excess use of social media has led to depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and suicidal thought.
- It has decreased face-to-face interaction and increased loneliness.
- Cyberbullying is its main major danger. It occurs when a person uses sites like Facebook and threatens someone. It causes ease for the bully because the victim’s reaction is not visible to them.
SEEKING PUBLIC ATTENTION
- Youth has got habitual to seek attention and fame. They can do anything on social apps to get fame and public attention.
- Young ones love to post their pictures and videos on social media which remain available on social media for an indefinite time until they are deleted. This may cause exposure of the pictures to hackers or it may lead to cyber-crime. Someone can misuse their picture or can use the pictures to blackmail them for any personal benefit.
When Facebook friends post pictures of their outing or foreign visit, they may develop an inferiority complex in others and become the reason to lose their self-confidence.
LACK OF CONCENTRATION
- Students who use social apps are much influenced by it. They lost their concentration in study and exams and the only thing they care about is their social media accounts.
- Young ones keep thinking all the time about what to post on social apps.
On social media, most people are just spreading negativity and they keep trolling others i.e. personalities of show business.
BELIEVING SOCIAL NETWORKS
Our today’s generation believes in everything posted on social apps. They don’t research the information either it is correct or not. Due to which false information and knowledge are spreading easily.
EFFECT ON PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
- Getting in touch with social media has made our youth dull and lethargic.
- They don’t play outdoor games and offline sports
- They don’t like to don exercise
- They sleep late at night due to much awake late in the morning and miss the morning walk which is making them mentally dull.
Social media is beneficial if used within the limit. But the excess use of social media by our young generation will finish the book lovers from the world. Proper strategies should be adopted by parents and society to reduce the use of social media by children and youngsters. It will lead to success and will surely reduce the bad effects of social media on society. Young ones need to learn that social media friends are not important as real-life friends. Life is more precious and it should not be wasted on social media.